Author Archives: Lyraat
* Didnt think Id miss Kill Shot as much as I do. Force of habit more than anything: mob health low –> spam 6 (my KS button). Not a big deal with trash mobs as most died before KS landed, but bosses? We’ll see how that goes.
* Graphics are improved all around. And hey look! A new Eastern Kingdoms load screen! Mekkatorqe is the new badass!
* My arms have huge veins.
* Gonna have to play with Barrage. 60 focus is a lot. So much more useful and fun than Powershot and Glaives though, so perhaps saving focus is worth it.
* Raided normal-cum-heroic SoO last night. DPS was bad. Meh. Rotation felt clunky owing mainly due to Barrage costing 60 focus. I tried Powershot, but I hate the knockback. Glaives suck: my tooltip reads “759 damage”. I hope thats a typo. The guaranteed LnL procs off BA are an improvement as every so often Id get two procs from one BA. Feels like something is missing, and not just a cooldown and/or KS.
Less than a month to go. I trust Blizzard will get things sorted.
I wasnt sure what I was going to do last night before I logged on. Pet battles, yes, but other than that? /shrug. Some guildies were finishing Brawler’s Guild achieves, others were surfing oQueue for Garrosh-N kill and the resulting mount, and a few took the night off after a long expansion.
I felt finished with the expansion, but since I was online, I figured I’d look for one more MoP-y thing to do. I hit “y” and checked my achievements. Dungeons done. Scenarios done [quick aside: got 4 of the 6 defenders for Binan All-Star in my first 10 runs, 0 in the next 15, then the last 2 in 3 runs. RNG, gotta love it.] Not doing PvP. Quests done as much as I wanted to do. General done–no wait! I haven’t caressed Pandarian squirrels! On it! Spam targeting macro while flying between pet battles and easy 10 achievement points. A sentimental bow tied onto MoP.
Regarding the “stealth” or more accurately “unannounced” nerfs and buffs, we were all correct. SV did need buffs as many said (in varying degrees of volume). And Blizzard did balance the classes and specs as I said. 12% to ES, BA, and SrS is about a 8-10% overall buff, which is huge. I’ll take it.
Along those same lines, I loved what the Blizz dev said. Knowing he could say “we’re working on balance” til he was blue in the face (“blue in the face” “blue post” get it? Nevermind) and knowing his audience, he went with a data-based troll. Loved it. And he was right. Those simulation numbers probably did make a few warlocks reroll or change mains heading into Siege. Empirical data, though, proved the simulations wrong. Not even close to what we saw.
Now it’s time to strip naked and parade my even more glorious Draenei body around Stormwind!
I watched the spoiler cinematic movies last night, and am now raring to go slaughter some Iron Horde. No spoilers here, but I will say the Talrador ending is my favorite.
Until the Dark Portal opens for us, what am I doing?
1. Pet battles. I can pet battle with one hand, which is great when holding ze bebe. Been leveling pets and pushing over the Celestial Tourney. Do my circuit: master trainers in Vot4W, Krasarang, Pandaria Water Spirit, DW, the Vale, port to SW, trainers in Elwynn Forest, Westfall, and Darkshire. Trying to level pets now that I should have leveled earlier and stock up on battle stones.
2. Amass gold. Seems like WoD is gonna drain a lot of accounts as everything will be paid in gold. Might as well prep for it.
3. Miscellaneous Pandaria achievements. Almost completed all that I wanted to complete. Got the dungeon meta done last night. Need two more defenses for Binan All-Star, and ten golden treasure chests for the Palace of Lei-Shen meta. Maybe Ill get them. Maybe not.
And what was that? Soloing old content is even easier in 6.0? On it!
I leave blogging and WoW when kid #1 arrived. Kid #2 arrives and I return to blogging. Don’t ask, I don’t know why either.
This time, this blog will be far less formal. Not that it was super exacting before, but–fair warning–I’m going off the cuff from now on. Many of these posts will be made from my phone, which makes me terse cause I’m not a fan of typing on my phone.
The topic. People have been bemoaning hunter dps in WoD, MM and SV in particular. All the simulations have us near or at the bottom of the charts, barely ahead of the tanks. With WoD due next month, panic is creeping in. Me? Not too concerned.
1. Blizzard has proven willing and able to keep dps between classes and specs close. Various fights will favor some specs over others, and some specs will be better during some patches than others. Overall, the differences between classes and specs are due more to player skill than game design.
2. Fights involve movement more than ever. Sure, we have moments when we can stand and deliver pain, but many fights require moving almost constantly. Hunters have always excelled at dpsing on the move compared to other ranged classes. And with other ranged classes losing some of their moving dps in WoD, and melee having their inherent spatial issues, our place in raids are not going away any time soon.
I’m not saying Blizzard doesn’t make mistakes or that we won’t need buffs. I’m optimistic that we hunters will be okay in WoD. We’ll see in a month.
Well, I was going to write a long goodbye post. I did, but I decided against it. I might post it someday. Maybe, maybe not. Here are the highlights:
- I’m still alive. More importantly, the bebe is alive. Happy, healthy, she’s a good baby.
- I’m still not playing WoW. My wife plays (and is playing right now). A few hours a week. With videogames, I’m either all in or all out. I can’t do casual. I have nothing against casual players, it’s just not for me.
- I’m still not interested in MoP.
So why the post if nothing’s changed? I wanted to wish everyone well before MoP dropped. I hope it’s a great expansion and that those who play it have a blast. I also wanted to say that the achievement guide is now obsolete and I will not update it unless I resubscribe. Doubtful that will be any time soon, but who knows.
Don’t expect any updates for a while. Life with babies moves fast. Not much time for anything else.